I started building the brick stands. First I needed to find the bricks for building them. I found suitable bricks from local store they we 257mm x 123mm x 57mm two of them put side by side would be big enough area for KRK VTX6. I also measured that the stand should be 860mm high so that the tweeter mid point would be in same height as my ears when I’m sitting at mixing position. With little measuring I found that fifteen layers of bricks would sum up to 855mm in height which was very good. Better too low than too high because it is easier to put something underneath that to try and remove something. So I eventually bought 60 bricks, two bricks per layer, fifteen layers per stand and two stands. I put the in the back of my car and bought four wooden sticks to give keep the bricks in place just in case.
While I was taking the bricks from my car to the studio a cranky old bus drove into the yard which looked kind of odd and out of place. It was Finnish bands Haloo Helsinki’s tour bus. It was quite strange because the area isn’t kind where you would expect to see something like that. And the music I had heard that other bands play didn’t sound like shit like that. It turned out that they had a bathroom break and the main reason the bus had stopped there was that one man came out and took a van. There is this company in the building that rents PA and other show technic stuff and probably organize gigs, so it was their van that the man took, probably went to get the PA stuff back.
Later on I bough piece of wood 15mm thick, four threaded rods M10 and shock nuts. The plan was to cut the wood into two pieces that would act as bottom plates for the stands. I drilled holes into the wood and hammered the shock nuts into place. Then I moved the bricks under the studio table and crawled to the other side of the studio table. I then put the threaded rods into place and put few bricks into place. I then tried to put them into position where the stands should be, or at least I tried doing so. I also put the wooden sticks into place. I put two threaded rods and two wooden sticks per stand. I then started piling the bricks keeping them in line with the rods. After I got the bricks into place with one stand I then repeated the process with the second stand. It took some time and my back did notice that I was doing something. I finally got both stands up. I then sawed the wooden sticks from the first stand so they wouldn’t stick out. They were 1 meter long and the stands were 855 mm high. I then started to saw the first threaded rod and it was a pain in the ass, but I got it done. I then started to saw the second rod, but it felt like the saw didn’t bite into the rod. It could have also been that I was running out of power from my hands, I have had very bad leg day that day, basically meaning that my walking was very difficult thanks to diabetic polyneuropathy. So I left everything as is. I was able to put the other VTX6 on the stand although the one rod was still sticking out. I decided that I would continue some other day.
The other day came and I continued with sawing of the threaded rods. This time around I put tapes on the rods to know where to saw. I also added sawed out piece of the wooden rod into the stand to keep the top most brick in place. Previously I had sawed one wooden stick too short. I was able to saw the other threaded rod from the stand that I didn’t do last time. Once again it took very long and felt like the saw wouldn’t bite into the rod. I screwed out the two rods from the other stand so I could saw them in a better place were there would have been more room. I sawed the wooden rods at the same time. After sawing the threaded rod for some time and looking at the result I saw nothing, it was like I hadn’t sawed it at all. I decided to give up. I thought the stand do not need the threaded rods they were there for extra security in the first place.
Now I was able to put both VTX6’s on their own stands and listen to them. They were not positioned correctly and stands were in wrong place, they weren’t equal distance from the wall, but I felt like that the work for now was done and I could just listen to music. I noticed that the right speaker seemed to be quieter. This was something I had to investigate to make sure there is nothing wrong with the monitors. It took me quite a long time to figure out that I could try out switching the monitors to see if there was the same effect. And I noticed that the right one felt quieter still. So it was the monitor positioning that caused the effect. There is also an issue that the back wall has a window on the left side of it. This is something I have to figure out what to do with in later on. For now the main focus were the speaker stands that were ready now. I only have to move them some day so that they are equal distance from the wall.
This one night that we were playing and recording guitars for Scared Of Me I came back to the studio after I had taken the guitarist home. I did some general moving stuff around and thought that now I could move the right monitor stand. I took a piece of wood, left out from acoustic element frame that I am working on. It is piece of eight element frame, I only have rockwool for seven elements at the moment. I put it against the monitor stands wooden bottom plate and started bounding it with a hammer. That thing payed off and the stands were now equal distance from the side walls. I did notice a change in the sound. I also noticed that the bass, panned center, sounded to be little on the left side while listening to Scared Of Me. This could be due the lack of acoustic treatment in the studio. This is an on going process and these massive monitor stands is just one little piece of it. I am going to move the table few more centimeters from the back wall. Then I have to move these stands in the “final position”. Then I have this thing I call The Thing. And I also have the acoustic element project going on.